Costume Crafts List for interpreting a sketch:
(Questions may vary and are not limited to this list depending on the project; this is a jumping off point)
1. Scale in relationship to the actor? (ex. Fat padding comical vs. realistic)
2. What are the basic shapes or the item?
3. Is the item meant to be used for realism, fantasy? Specified genre of show?
4. What is the desired fullness? Fit? Is it supposed to help with fullness or stiffness?
5. How is this item being used? Movement? Practicality? (I.e. pockets, buttons, belts, etc)
6. Seam allowances? Will this item possibly be used again?
7. Where does this item stand in order of priority: high to low? Will this item or its mockup be needed in rehearsals?
8. What types of fabrics are being used?
9. What inner structures are required: foam, inner facings, flat linings, bones, wires, horsehair, buckram, other stiff stuff? What parts require lining?
10. Are any fabric treatments planned: dyeing, painting, and aging? At what stage in construction should these items be applied? Will the costume leave the shop for treatment? (I.e. Embroidery, special painting, etc.)
11. Are there different units to the piece? (I.e. mask and headdress, etc)
12. Should the piece work with other pieces in any way? (I.e. matching, working together in a costume, etc)
13. What specialty items cannot be found locally? Will this affect build time?
14. Will the item be on the straight or bias?
15. What type of pattern or garment cut would create the shapes desired? Is a similar pattern in stock or commercially available? Should this garment be an authentic period cut?
16. Which is the best method by which to develop a pattern: drafting, flat patterning, draping? Which method is fastest?
17. Where are the closures?
18. How many fittings will be needed?
19. Is this piece involved in a quick change?
20. What kinds of trims are used? And how are they applied; top mounted, caught in seams, by machine, by hand?
21. What must the performer do while wearing the costume: dance, fence, fight?
22. Is the costume built for short use, prolonged use, stock? If so how will this affect the build?
23. How will the garment be cared for during the run? Will it need to be washed, dry cleaned, pressed, steamed, or otherwise treated?
24. What is the general shop and what are you responsible for? (ex. Sometimes you may do collars, and specialty decoration)
25. What is the most efficient or economical way to produce the item without sacrificing the style and quality? Do the costs and level or priority justify the approach? Can any part be purchased or made to order more quickly or at a more reasonable cost than in-shop construction?